[oe] bitcoin recipe

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Thu Aug 7 12:29:14 UTC 2014

Just out of curiousity, I tried to build bitcoin for an ARM target using bitbake.

Googling a bit reveils tons of claims of people having compiled it for their
board (e.g. the raspberry pi), and very likely, some of them were using OE.

Somewhere, someone knows how to do this...

Strangely, i couldn't find a recipe online. So i did a quick try with this recipe:

SUMMARY = "Bitcoin miner"
LICENSE = "MIT"
LIC_FILES_CHKSUM = "file://COPYING;md5=9eef91148a9b14ec7f9df333daebc746"
# https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/doc/build-unix.md
DEPENDS += "boost db"
SRCREV = "5e94d0036a76ea9d63e4ed17b12554caef7f55da"
SRC_URI = "git://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/"
S = "${WORKDIR}/git"
inherit pkgconfig autotools
# Workarounds...
EXTRA_OECONF += "\
	--with-incompatible-bdb \
	--with-boost-libdir=${STAGING_LIBDIR} \
	"

This didn't get very far, apparently the bitcoin people aren't very aware of
crosscompiling...

It fails to configure with a cryptic message like this:

checking whether the Boost::Thread library is available... yes
checking for exit in -lboost_thread... yes
checking whether the Boost::Chrono library is available... yes
configure: error: Could not find a version of the boost_chrono library!

A similar one about the boost_system library was fixed using the
"--with-boost-libdir=${STAGING_LIBDIR}" hack, but this one has me baffled.

Met vriendelijke groet / kind regards,

Mike Looijmans

TOPIC Embedded Systems
Eindhovenseweg 32-C, NL-5683 KH Best