[oe] Doubts regarding the final Image file

Stephen Arnold stephen.arnold42 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 01:30:26 UTC 2014

I'm not the TI guru-dude, but the beaglebone machines (white or black)
don't seem to use the image bbclass, but should at least produce the rootfs
tarballs and kernel/u-boot files to make a card (in your deploy
directory).  The TI sdcard and u-boot stuff is documented all over, but
essentially you format the sdcard as a vfat boot partition and ext* root
partition, copy MLO first, then the u-boot.bin file to the boot partition,
then untar (with -p) the rootfs to the root partition.  The kernel image
could go either place, depending on the u-boot config (but is probably in
the rootfs under /boot).  If the root part is ext2/3 then u-boot should be
able to load kernel image from there with the right config.  This way is
the "old" way and unfortunately has many variations depending on versions
of u-boot and vendor.  There should be some TI people listening who know
more, but if you just try it and it fails, you could try a serial console
to get a u-boot prompt.  Then you can display the u-boot environment and
see how it's configured.

Steve