[oe] toybox in OpenEmbedded

Paul Barker paul at paulbarker.me.uk
Mon Aug 18 13:44:53 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I've been wanting to try out toybox within OpenEmbedded for quite a while and
have finally found time to put a recipe together. Toybox is a BSD-licensed
alternative to Busybox which may be of interest to a few people. It's still a
work in progress but it already covers a large number of the basic commands a
system needs. It should tie in well with the recent work Khem has done to enable
the use of musl in OpenEmbedded as toybox and musl are often used together (e.g.
Aboriginal Linux distro).

My patches are currently against openembedded-core for convenience but this
probably belongs in meta-oe for now. I've done some basic testing on qemuarm but
nothing significant. toybox builds and installs correctly though and I've set
ALTERNATIVE_PRIORITY = 60 so that it takes precedence over busybox tools.

Removing toybox after it has been installed currently bricks the system though
as the postrm script runs after '/bin/toybox' has been removed (so things like
'/bin/ln' become broken links and the update-alternatives script can't run).

I can send patches but as I say, this is a work in progress and you shouldn't
install toybox using this recipe on a production system yet. Would anyone else
be interested in testing this out? And should I send these patches against
openembedded-core or meta-oe or should I create a separate layer for this until
it stabilises?

Thanks,

--
Paul Barker