[oe] [OE-core] Announcing meta-musl OE/Yocto layer supporting musl C library

Paul Barker paul at paulbarker.me.uk
Mon Aug 18 19:54:08 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 07:31:02PM +0000, Paul Barker wrote:

> > > I'll just post one ticket for now.
> > >

> > Thats fine too.
> >
> > > I think I've got a fix for e2fsprogs as well.
> >
> > Great. when we write patches that arise out of musl systems we should
> > make sure that
> >
> > 1. If patch fixes a genuine issue surfaced with musl, fight it out ar
> > respective package upstream and in OE universe add it to the original
> > layer where recipe primarily resides
> > but we can keep the patches in meta-musl as a last resort.
> >
> > 2. If its something musl specific then lets keep it in meta-musl and
> > see how musl can be changed to fix it.
> >
> > Thanks
> > -Khem
>
> That makes sense. I'd suggest adding that to the README file in meta-musl so
> other would-be-contributors notice it.
>
> In this case, it's ensuring that 'uint64_t' is used instead of '__uint64_t' and
> that <limits.h> is included where needed for 'PATH_MAX'. So I'd say those fixes
> belong in oe-core and are candidates for submitting upstream.

Actually, both of these are fixed upstream already, but not as isolated commits
I can backport. There is a newer upstream release (v1.42.11) but it doesn't
contain the necessary fixes. It appears that the missing <limits.h> inclusion is
in a file added by patches in openembedded-core.

I shan't attempt the upgrade as there are a lot of patches in openembedded-core
to consider. I will try to make an isolated fix for the build issues with musl
though.

Paul Barker

Email: paul at paulbarker.me.uk
http://www.paulbarker.me.uk