[oe] OE and SSDs

Carlos Rafael Giani dv at pseudoterminal.org
Thu Feb 13 10:38:22 UTC 2014

Hello,

we are considering purchasing SSDs for our development machines, for
faster I/O and better latency. One open question is whether to buy TLC-
or MLC-based drives. TLCs are considerably cheaper. They would not be
used in build bots, but on the other hand, people will build entire
images with OE by themselves during development.

So I wonder about the impact on the drive's lifespan, and whether or not
it is severe enough to warrant the more expensive MLC drives (up to 2
times more expensive).

Did anybody made experiences with these? Any recommendations?