[oe] virtual/fakeroot-native misleading

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Mon Jan 6 11:49:18 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-01-05 at 23:18 +0100, Detlef Vollmann wrote:
> Trying to bitbake essentially anything requires virtual/fakeroot-native.
> But saying 'ASSUME_PROVIDED += "virtual/fakeroot-native"' because we
> have fakeroot on our machine doesn't work, as bitbake.conf explicitely
> requires pseudo.  So it would be better to drop virtual/fakeroot-native
> and just require pseudo.

The virtual/ namespace exists from previous days and its true that
pseudo can do anything fakeroot could do so in that sense its valid. The
opposite is not true however as you've found out.

So technically, yes, we now require pseudo-native and we could go and
change those dependencies. Its not exactly a pressing issue but I'd take
patches.

Cheers,

Richard