[oe] tcpdump: bitbake throws autoconf errors, error message confusing

Jack Mitchell ml at communistcode.co.uk
Fri Jul 4 12:09:29 UTC 2014

On 04/07/14 11:31, Jack Mitchell wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> After further investigation that is also what I found, and why it's so
> confusing. The different tcpdump is because I uprevved to the latest
> version locally to see if it fixed the issue ;)
>
> I'll see if I can figure out why the class if flagging it as bad when it
> shouldn't.
>
> On 04/07/14 11:14, Robert Yang wrote:
>>
>> The error message comes from meta/classes/insane.bbclass:
>>
>> grep -e 'CROSS COMPILE Badness:' -e 'is unsafe for cross-compilation'
>>
>> The log you showed didn't contain the words, so that it should not error,
>> maybe you have to debug in meta/classes/insane.bbclass.
>>
>> Btw., the meta-oe's tcpdump is 4.3.0, yours is 4.5.1, maybe there are
>> other differences, for example you have used another insane.bbclass ?
>> (Just a guess)
>>
>> // Robert
>>
>> On 07/04/2014 05:42 PM, Jack Mitchell wrote:
>>> So tcpdump is failing to build in my latest uprev to all things HEAD.
>>> The error message is a touch cryptic:
>>>
>>> ERROR: This autoconf log indicates errors, it looked at host include
>>> and/or library paths while determining system capabilities.
>>> Rerun configure task after fixing this. The path was
>>> '/home/jack/Work/oe-core.git/test-build/tmp-eglibc/work/core2-32-oe-linux/tcpdump/4.5.1-r0/build'
>>>
>>> ERROR: Function failed: do_qa_configure
>>>
>>> log: http://ix.io/dg9
>>>
>>> Looking at the log I can't see where that specific path is used... can
>>> anyone shed any light?
>>>
>>> Cheers,

Ok, so I've found the issue. tcpdump finds some pcap binaries it needs
in the host sysroot, which then provides links to host include paths and
as such, the failure.

The question, how do I fix it? Will I need to inherit native or
something like that, so a local version is built which then points to
the correct sysroot that the cross version can then make use of? I've
never really had to deal with anything like this before...

config.log: http://ix.io/dgf

Regards,

--
  Jack Mitchell (jack at embed.me.uk)