[oe] a bit of pedantry about core images

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Jul 11 15:24:59 UTC 2014

  documenting some stuff about core images and a few quick questions.
first, in core-image.bbclass:

# By default we install packagegroup-core-boot and packagegroup-base packages - this gives us
# working (console only) rootfs.

  actually, not quite true:

CORE_IMAGE_BASE_INSTALL = '\
    packagegroup-core-boot \
    packagegroup-base-extended \        <------

so that comment just needs to be fixed, i can take care of that.

  next, i've always cringed at this bit of code:

  CORE_IMAGE_BASE_INSTALL = '\
    packagegroup-core-boot \
    packagegroup-base-extended \
    \
    ${CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL} \
    '

  CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL ?= ""

  IMAGE_INSTALL ?= "${CORE_IMAGE_BASE_INSTALL}"

could that not just be written as:

  CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL ?= ""

  CORE_IMAGE_BASE_INSTALL = '\
    packagegroup-core-boot \
    packagegroup-base-extended \
    '

  IMAGE_INSTALL ?= "${CORE_IMAGE_BASE_INSTALL}" ${CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL}

which strikes me as much clearer. are those two snippets of code
equivalent?

  i think that's it.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca