[oe] overriding tasks with EXPORT_FUNCTIONS

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Jul 14 10:18:58 UTC 2014

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014, Paul Eggleton wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> On Sunday 13 July 2014 10:19:08 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   followup to last post -- all of the methods for "overriding" task
> > definitions in the last post can be used without predeclaring that
> > you're about to do that; you just go ahead and do it in either a class
> > file or a recipe file. on the other hand, EXPORT_FUNCTIONS allows you
> > to retain the base definition of a task (or non-task function, as i
> > read it), then define a more general enhanced version.
> >
> >   (side note: i don't see a single mention of "EXPORT_FUNCTIONS" in
> > any of the numerous yocto docs -- i think this feature needs some
> > explanation *somewhere*. :-)
>
> Did you try the new BitBake manual?
>
> http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/bitbake-user-manual/bitbake-user-manual.html#flexible-inheritance-for-class-functions
>
> Let me know if that doesn't answer your questions.

  actually, i worded the above *really* badly. i see it in the bitbake
user manual, i was referring to the "yocto-docs" layer, which contains
all of the yocto docs but not the bitbake manual, which might mislead
some people into not knowing that the bitbake user manual is even
there.

  i know bitbake is outside the scope of what belongs in the
yocto-docs layer, but perhaps there should be at least a pointer to it
in the yocto-docs README file?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca