[oe] [OE-core] any value in keeping the backward compat "task-core" stuff?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Jul 14 10:31:18 UTC 2014

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014, Paul Eggleton wrote:

> On Friday 11 July 2014 20:39:04 Otavio Salvador wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Robert P. J. Day
> >
> > <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> > >   a number of the current packagegroup recipe files still have
> > >
> > > backward compatibility support for the old "task-core" names, seems
> > > like that's been there for well over a year, would it be safe to
> > > finally just toss that? seems like everyone's had enough time to make
> > > the move to the new names, and it would be clearer to not confuse the
> > > proper use of the word "task" these days.
> >
> > I agree; however this question should also be send to oe-core mailing
> > list (added in Cc)
>
> I agree as well; these should go. I know there are some who want to
> keep these indefinitely for upgrade purposes, but I think there's a
> limit to how long they should stay around in OE-Core. They can
> always be preserved in bbappends for those that do want to keep
> them.

  getting rid of all that "task-core" stuff in packagegroups looks
pretty easy, except for this snippet in
packagegroup-core-full-cmdline.bb:

    packages = d.getVar("PACKAGES", True).split()
    for pkg in packages:
        if pkg.endswith('-dev'):
            mapped = namemap.get(pkg[:-4], None)
            if mapped:
                mapped += '-dev'
        elif pkg.endswith('-dbg'):
            mapped = namemap.get(pkg[:-4], None)
            if mapped:
                mapped += '-dbg'
        else:
            mapped = namemap.get(pkg, None)

        if mapped:
            oldtaskname = mapped.replace("packagegroup-core", "task-core")
            mapstr = " %s %s" % (mapped, oldtaskname)
            d.appendVar("RPROVIDES_%s" % pkg, mapstr)
            d.appendVar("RREPLACES_%s" % pkg, mapstr)
            d.appendVar("RCONFLICTS_%s" % pkg, mapstr)
}

  would one simply delete that last "if mapped:" conditional in its
entirety? or what?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca