[oe] Old OE history

Christopher Larson kergoth at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 03:19:53 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 10:34 AM, Paul Eggleton <paul.eggleton at intel.com>
wrote:

> Looking back through OE-Classic git commit history, the first commit (from
> Chris) is basically an import; so it seems to me that at one point we did
> have
> some more history from before then. This was before my time on the
> project so
> I'm not sure what we had before bitkeeper (if anything).

This doesn't seem accurate to me. The first commit is
bda361cba6cf49d92d21f44c87a9d2f13511d551, which created an initial mostly
empty repository, which was followed by
c11afe579262bdabdf3af8fdfcb24b3598bf0232 which added a couple initial
recipes, etc.

At one point we used cvs, which got imported into bk, which got re-exported
as cvs, which got imported into mtn, which got converted to git, or
something like that, if I'm remembering correctly, anyway :) And of course
I did some careful grafting of the earliest histories. I'm pretty sure we
have most of the historical repositories around somewhere or another. I
know I have copies of the bkbits repository for bitbake, the oz buildroot
repo from various places, and  the cvs exports of the bkbits repositories.
It is of course possible that something got lost in the translations
between scm types along the way, but I'm not aware of anything missing
offhand. And of course the initial repository was prior to bitbake being
split out, the split of the early history between bitbake and openembedded
was done by me, as carefully as I could, but iirc we still have the old
'oe' repository which was prior to the split.

If I dump a list of every file which has ever existed in the oe classic
repository, and then grep out qt.*/compile.patch from that, and use git log
on those files, you can see all the way back to the import of the initial
qt/qte patches from the oz buildroot, and subsequent changes to it after
that:

    git log -- (git rev-list --reverse HEAD | git diff-tree --stdin
--no-commit-id --name-only -r | sort -u | grep 'qt.*/compile.patch')

Aside: I have 'git rev-list --reverse HEAD | git diff-tree --stdin
--no-commit-id --name-only -r | sort -u' as a standalone git-ls-files-ever
script. this is particularly useful when splitting git repositories up, or
doing complete svn to git conversions, to ensure that you don't miss any
files, as git's --follow isn't always sufficient, nor are other uses of its
copy/move detection.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com