[oe] State of the art for creating an image that you can dd to an SD card

Joe MacDonald joe at deserted.net
Wed Jun 25 00:12:03 UTC 2014

[[oe] State of the art for creating an image that you can dd to an SD card] On 14.06.24 (Tue 16:14) Philip Balister wrote:

> What's the best available solution for creating an image you can dd to
> an SD card? It seems like this wheel has been invented several times and
> I am wondering if people are converging on one approach.

I don't know about that, but I always resort to the same methodology a
friend of mine used to call "stone axes and hammers" (that is, simple,
basic tools that are efficient if not elegant).

   dd if=/dev/zero of=rootfs.img bs=1M count=<however_many_meg_I_need>
   mke2fs -j rootfs.img
   mount -o loop rootfs.img /mnt
   tar -C /mnt -[jJz]xf <path_to_image>
   umount /mnt

> Bonus points for resizing the linux partition.

Half marks for solving half the problem?  :-)

   dd if=/dev/zero >> rootfs.img
   e2fsck -f junk.img
   resize2fs rootfs.img

It would probably work to shrink it by doing something like resize2fs -M
then doing a dd with if=junk.img of=smaller-junk.img, but I don't ever
recall needing to shrink and image where I didn't just go create a
smaller image and use something like pax or rsync to copy the data from
one to the other.

--
-Joe MacDonald.
:wq