[oe] transitional packages

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 11:33:39 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 10:38:52AM +0100, Jaap de Jong wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> for one project I'm still using oe-classic.
> Would like to upgrade that!
> I know a simple update will not work because (among others?) package
> names are changed.
> Is there any effort made to create transitional packages?

I don't know about any.

> If not, would it be a tough job?

Yes, maybe not so bad if you have exactly one starting point and one
final, but to provide upgrade path from "some" state of binary feeds in
oe-core to "some" state of binary feeds built with oe-core is very close
to impossible (as you cannot test every combination).

Some versions went backwards, you need to migrate LOCALCOUNTs to PRSERV
db a lot of packages were renamed or removed without replacement (so
they will be stuck in your target image unless you explicitly RCONFLICT
RREPLACE them from your transitional package), there are upgrade path
issues even between oe-core revisions.

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com