[oe] Website Text

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed May 7 08:49:04 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 06 May 2014 23:35:09 Trevor Woerner wrote:
> On 05/06/14 12:12, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> > So I'd hope that the machine listing in the layer index could be made
> > to help with that.
>
> Absolutely, for raw recipe information or information on which MACHINEs
> are supported the layer index would be a good choice.
>
> But there's a fair amount of difference between "MACHINE, layer, and
> recipe definitions" versus "here's the FSL community information, they
> use repo, here's where they keep their manifests, here are the manifests
> they have available, these are the boards they support, and here is how
> you run their setup script".

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "manifests"?

> Unless you're suggesting the layer index could also inform users of
> manifests and setup script conventions?

On a per layer basis that is the intention of providing the "Setup
information" URL field - it's a link to further information about how to use
the layer. For example, OE-Core has one:

http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/layer/openembedded-core/

This can be either an external URL or a pointer to a file within the repository
(if it doesn't have the http:// prefix).

That might not be fine-grained enough to handle what we're talking about but it
is something along the right lines I think.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton