[oe] how to create a new layer

Robert Calhoun rcalhoun at shotspotter.com
Wed May 21 19:26:24 UTC 2014

On 5/21/14 2:26 PM, "Richard Cagley" <rcagley at gmail.com> wrote:

>I'd like to create a new machine that inherits from an existing
>machine. What's the easiest way to do this?
>
>Looking through the yocto documentation I see "yocot-bsp create" but I
>don't seem to have that executable. Do I need to use this or is there
>an alternate method?

The script is in: poky/scripts/yocto-bsp

You don't really need it. The script creates a directory structure for you
and generates some files, but there is nothing magical about it; you can
create those manually using the meta-yocto-bsp layer as an example.
Machine configs are in poky/meta-yocto-bsp/conf/machine.

To make bitbake use your new layer:
a) add your layer to poky/build/conf/bblayers.conf so that that bitbake
knows what directories to search
b) set your machine name in poky/build/conf/local.conf

I would recommend putting your own layer into git (or scm of choice).
Switching branches on poky will make the build fail if your .bbappends no
longer match up with recipes in oe-core, so it's helpful to be able to
switch between e.g. "a version of my layer that works with branch daisy"
and "a version of my layer that works with branch master".

Rob Calhoun