[oe] PRINC migration questions

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 14:36:18 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 07, 2014 at 01:31:02PM +0000, Bryan Evenson wrote:
> All,
>
> I am on poky/dylan and have not yet started using the PR server.  I really do want to start using the PR server and stop using PRINC.  However, even more so I really don't want to break my package feeds.  I want to make sure I do my migration correctly and I don't do something that looks like it works okay only to find out it causes problems later.  With that in mind, I am looking for advice on the proper way to migrate away from using PRINC.
>
> Let's say I have a .bbappend in my private layer with the line:
>
> PRINC := "${@int(PRINC) + 4}"
>
> The mainline layer's .bb has the line:
>
> PR = "${INC_PR}.0"
>
> And the mainline layer's .inc has the line:
>
> INC_PR = "r8"
>
> In this scenario, the resulting PR will be "r12.0".  Now let's say I want to start using the PR server and get rid of PRINC in this recipe.  The resulting package contents are to be the same, so I want the resulting PR to be "r12.0".  From some limited testing, if I start the PR server and remove the PRINC line from my .bbappend the resulting PR is "r8.0".  So in my .bbappend should I change the PRINC line to:
>
> INC_PR = "r12"
>
> Or should I change it to something else?  If I change it to a hardcoded value, then I'll have to be careful about what to do if the mainline recipe changes INC_PR.  How have other people handled this situation?

PR service won't you help at all with this (it adds another .N to PR
value, so it cannot fix when the level of .N goes backwards).

The only really working solution is to increment INC_PR/PR values in upstream
recipes atomically with PRINC drop in your layers.

For PR service migration the more important part is to correctly migrate
LOCALCOUNT numbers (used in SRCPVs), especially if you're also changing
package architecture (e.g. t2 suffix added in daisy or selecting
different DEFAULTTUNE and all your LOCALCOUNTs in PR server DB will
reset to 0, because of different db key to find them. Luckily you can
pre-populate them with single SQL command if you realize this situation
before first build.

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com