[oe] BUILD_FROM_FEEDS

Alejandro del Castillo alejandro.delcastillo at ni.com
Mon Nov 17 20:13:10 UTC 2014

Hello,

We have a build system were we build ~10 different images for targets that
share the same architecture. We plan to leverage BUILD_FROM_FEEDS (very
powerful feature!), to split the build process in 2. One process will
create the feeds, while a different process will be in charge of building
images. Our images pick and choose which packagegroups they need, based on
the target flavor. This approach enable our internal users to build images
very quickly, while our core team focuses on maintaining the feed build.
With some caveats, our process is working and looks like the right
solution for us (we will soon need many more images)

The main hurdle that I see now is that some of our images require
different IMAGE_FEATURES. For example, some of our images use x11. Since
we build a single feed, we either build packages (dbus, for example) with
the IMAGE_FEATURE enabled or not, which is unfortunate as some of our
targets are headless. Does anyone have thoughts on how we can overcome the
problem without creating separate feeds?

It would be terrific if there was an option to build both versions of the
package. For dbus, that would mean having 2 packages, which could be named
dbus-x11_1.6.18-r0.12_core2-64.ipk &  dbus_1.6.18-r0.12_core2-64.ipk.
Then, my images could choose which version to use, based on their
IMAGE_FEATURES.

Message sent to openembedded-devel only, please let me know if I should
also send it to openembedded-core.

thanks!

-Alejandro