[oe] Style issue for recipes

Andreas Müller schnitzeltony at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 4 17:29:45 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 6:34 PM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton at intel.com> wrote:
> On 4 September 2014 15:12, Burton, Ross <ross.burton at intel.com> wrote:
>> Quick question of style for the community to bikeshed on:  in the
>> general case should recipes be split into foo_1.2.bb and foo.inc, or
>> should they only split to bb/inc if there are multiple versions and
>> generally there should just be foo_1.2.bb.
>
> Another argument against widespread inc files: they encourage the
> impression that maintaining multiple versions is just a matter of
> having a .inc file.  The moment you start having to put
> version-specific statements into a .bb you've entered a world of pain
> in keeping the .bb files in sync, moving options into the .inc as they
> become used by all versions, and purging old version-specific
> statements.
>
> Ross
> --
I agree with Ross: It often took me time to find out where
functionality comes from. Inc-files do only make sense for multiple
versions of recipes or if different recipes share same code (only
example I can remember is meta-gnome gvfs/gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor
circular-dependency hack).

My feeling is that the inc-files are still from classic oe times where
we had multiple versions for many recipes and most can be merged into
recipes without loosing something.

Andreas