[oe] issue about git and XDL_FAST_HASH on big endian (powerpc) machines

Bob Cochran openembedded at mindchasers.com
Sun Sep 7 18:44:04 UTC 2014

Hi,

On my ppc64 e5500, 'git commit' fails with

git: xdiff/xutils.c:358: xdl_hash_record: Assertion `*ptr == '\n'' failed.

I built git with git_2.0.1 on poky / meta master branch: 669c07d60221

I found a related patch on OpenWRT that tracked the bug assertion on big
endian machines to the inclusion of XDL_FAST_HASH in config.mak.uname.
They state that XDL_FAST_HASH won't work on big endian machines.

https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/37239

For my cross compile build, I patched out XDL_FAST_HASH to verify that
the bug would go away on my target,  which it did.

Would anyone care to comment on how to best create a patch for this?

A quick search showed that there has been activity on patching
XDL_FAST_HASH for big endian machines, so maybe just patching it out of
the make file isn't the best course of action for building a big endian
target.

Thanks,

Bob