[oe] util-linux: Data file clash for lastb with sysvinit

Bryan Evenson bevenson at melinkcorp.com
Thu Apr 16 15:55:21 UTC 2015

All,

I've been working through several issues in order to get a clean upgrade and I'm down to my last couple.  I found a conflict between sysvinit and util-linux that I have no idea how to handle and I'm looking for some help.  I'm using sysvinit for init and opkg for package management.

I am upgrading a system that is on poky/dylan-1.4.4 up to poky/dizzy-1.7.1.  One of the errors I see during upgrade is the following:

* check_data_file_clashes: Package util-linux wants to install file /usr/bin/lastb
        But that file is already provided by package  * sysvinit

The chain I've found for the files on my system are:
/usr/bin/lastb -> last
/usr/bin/last -> /usr/bin/last.sysvinit

When I check which package owns lastb ("opkg search /usr/bin/lastb") opkg says util-linux has that file.  However, I don't see anything in the util-linux recipe that mentions lastb.  I don't know how this softlink is getting created or how util-linux is the owner.

Any ideas on how util-linux is getting ownership of lastb and how to resolve this conflict with sysvinit?

Regards,
Bryan