[oe] [rbevan at restdeveloper.com: meta-ruby / compiling gems on the target machine]

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 11:00:33 UTC 2015

I'm not a ruby expert forwarding to ML where it belongs.

----- Forwarded message from Richard Bevan <rbevan at restdeveloper.com> -----

Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 11:06:35 +0100
Subject: meta-ruby / compiling gems on the target machine
From: Richard Bevan <rbevan at restdeveloper.com>
To: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com

Hello Martin,

Sorry for the direct email.

Thanks for your work on meta-ruby. I have found a small problem and also
have a suggestion but don't know how to fix it in the .bb file.

The --sysroot=/ is set to the host path, when using ruby on a target
machine.

This only becomes a problem with compiling native support using gems.

eg.....

gem install thin

The makefile will fail when run on the target machine. I have been running
the below command to sort the --sysroot out on my target machine before
running gem install.

/bin/sed -i "s/sysroot=[0-9a-z\/\-]*/sysroot=\//g"
/usr/lib/ruby/*/*/rbconfig.rb

The above replaces --sysroot=/path/on/my/host/machine/ to --sysroot=/ in
the rbconfig.rb file.

Then gem install with native supports works after running the above.

Can we add this into the .bb file?

Thanks,

Richard

----- End forwarded message -----