[oe] Building openjdk without X11 dependencies

Max Krummenacher max.oss.09 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 22:11:30 UTC 2015

Hi

> <mario at ossystems.com.br> wrote:
> > I'm under the impression building openjdk without X11 is not feasible.
> > As far as I understand, the headless package is (or should be) generated
> > by building openjdk with the X11 dependencies, then selecting the
> > components which are not linked against X11 libraries and putthing them
> > into a separate package.  Does that sound correct?
> >
> > Is it possible to build openjdk without X11 dependencies?

My interests actually went into the other direction. Adding a
packageconfig which re-enables xawt.

While looking at it I tried to remove the DEPENDS on X11/GTK+ and came
to the conclusion that you would need to heavily change the source
tree / Makefiles to leave all the sources which include X11 (or GTK+)
headers out of the way.

The sources react to the symbol BUILD_HEADLESS_ONLY which promised to
keep the X11 dependencies out. However that is either broken in the
current versions of OpenJDK or never worked at all.
Some mailinglist post underlined that. e.g.
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/build-dev/2012-March/005700.html

Maybe one could split openjdk-7-common and openjdk7-jre into packages
without X11 dependencies and the rest as Mario proposes. However I don't
know if that would lead to a working headless java installation.

Regards
Max