[oe] meta-java - recent commits break foreign (MY!) builds ...

Richard Leitner richard.leitner at skidata.com
Mon Aug 31 07:33:51 UTC 2015

On 08/28/2015 04:11 PM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 3:59 AM, Richard Leitner
> <richard.leitner at skidata.com> wrote:
>> I think we should keep (and UPDATE!) openjdk 6 & 7 as long as they get
>> support from RedHat and therefore IcedTea. There may be users relying on
>> the old java version for their long-term-supported products (so do we)!
>>
>> IMHO we should start with openjdk 6: remove the old versions and add the
>> latest (1.13.8)!
>>
>> What do you think? Any comments?
>
> If you are willing to work on that, I have no problem.

As I mentioned, I will update openjdk-7 as long as I need it. If it's
okay for you I will send patches for these updates to the ml. From a
current point of view it looks like I will provide updates until end of
2016 at least.

> The point is Java is complex and we have few people working on this so
> I prefer one well maintained version than 3 oddly ones.

I understand that. But currently I have no need for openjdk-8. Therefore
my focus is on keeping openjdk-7 up to date.