[oe] [meta-browser] chromium segfault and "Debug" CHROMIUM_BUILD_TYPE fails to build

Ian Coolidge ian at boundarydevices.com
Wed Dec 9 04:44:39 UTC 2015

All,

I'm attempting to build chromium in the latest Yocto Jethro environment
(GCC 5.2). There have been recent patches to fix compiler errors from
GCC5.2 but I chromium isn't being built properly. I'm building for the
Nitrogen6x.

root at nitrogen6x:~# export
> CHROME_DEVEL_SANDBOX=/usr/sbin/chrome-devel-sandbox
> root at nitrogen6x:~# export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/chromium
> root at nitrogen6x:~# DISPLAY=:0 /usr/bin/chromium/chrome --use-gl=egl
> --gpu-no-context-lost --user-data-dir=/home/root/.chromium/
> [907:907:1209/043606:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(301)] InitializeSandbox()
> called with multiple threads in process gpu-process
> Segmentation fault
> root at nitrogen6x:~#

So, reading through the chromium recipe I stumbled upon:

# The build type defaults to Release. If you want a Debug build, you can set
> # the variable CHROMIUM_BUILD_TYPE to "Debug" in your conf/local.conf file.
> CHROMIUM_BUILD_TYPE ??= "Release"

I figured building for Debug would put the debugging symbols in so I could
run GDB and have a more educated e-mail to send about what might be broken,
but building that fails for GCC5.2 reasons.

Is this a known issue? Has anyone else built and tested on jethro with
chromium working?

Thanks,
-Ian