[oe] QT5 application NOT generating core dump upon receiving segmentation fault

Ankur Tyagi ankur.tyagi85 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 10:27:24 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am running a QT5 based application on TI AM335x EVM kit. I am using
meta-arago daisy configuration.

My system is configured to generate core dump and core dumps are generated
whenever application receives segmentation fault (expected).

But when my QT5 based application received SIGSEGV, then no core dump is
generated. It dies without "Segmentation fault" message on stdout.

To debug this further, I added nullptr dereference in my application main()
before QApplication object is created and when executed, core dump was
created.
When I moved nullptr dereference after QApplication object is created, then
no core dump was created. Application died without any message.

So it seems QT is handling SIGSEGV and not allowing to create core dump.

Is it expected ? I believe not. What wrong am I doing and how to fix this ?

thanks
Ankur