[oe] [meta-qt5] qtscript, qtwebking: disable thumb issues on armv7

Andreas Müller schnitzeltony at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 23 09:57:18 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 10:42 AM, Martin Jansa <martin.jansa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 10:13:45AM +0100, Andreas Müller wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 9:19 AM, Andreas Müller
>> <schnitzeltony at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > The story occured on jethro but I think it is the same for master:
>> On master fix for qtwebkit won't be necessary - qtwebkit will go away [1]
>>
>> [1] http://blog.qt.io/blog/2015/12/18/qt-5-6-beta-released/
>
> True, but there are some attempts to keep 5.5* qtwebkit compatible with
> latest 5.6:
> http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/releasing/2015-December/002026.html
>
> so I wouldn't hope for qtwebkit recipe removal soon.
Yes - also in the blog I linked it was mentioned in the lower area but
my mail was already out when I read that.

>> Andreas
>> >
>> > We have a simple application containing a QWebView which segfaulted
>> > during loading a page on a CortexA9 (armv7 thumb2). After enabling
>> > debug information for qtwebkit and remote debug session the point of
>> > segfault was detected in
>> >
>> > qtwebkit: Source/JavaScriptCore/llint/LowLevelInterpreter.asm:1082
>> >    callSlowPath(_llint_slow_path_new_func_exp)
>> >
>> > Further digging around lead to similar source in:
>> >
>> > * qtwebkit: Source/JavaScriptCore/assembler/ARMv7Assembler.h
>> > * qtscript: src/3rdparty/javascriptcore/JavaScriptCore/assembler/ARMv7Assembler.h
>> >
>> > In these files a class ARMThumbImmediate is declared and used in many
>> > places. This lead me to the assumption that compiling for armv7
>> > expects thumb support.
>> >
>> > So I removed the
>> >
>> > ARM_INSTRUCTION_SET = "arm"
>
> You build it in distro with ARM_INSTRUCTION_SET set to "thumb", right?
Correct

> Because the default is still "arm" so this issue you're describing is
> still valid in default DISTRO-less builds.
Ooh yes - so the right way for now (as long as other arm variants
don't fail) would be something like

ARM_INSTRUCTION_SET = "arm"
ARM_INSTRUCTION_SET_armv7 = "thumb"

If agreed I would send out patches for master and jethro with this.

Andreas