[oe] Why does samba think it (R)DEPENDS on perl?

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Wed Dec 30 10:34:03 UTC 2015

When building the current version of samba, it builds perl and drags it
into the image through an RDEPENDS.

I've been researching this for a while, but failed to figure out what
causes this runtime relation. Is there a way to find out where this is
being "detected"?

The workaround I implemented is simply adding this line to the samba
recipe, which at least gets rid of the overhead in the image:

RDEPENDS_${PN}_remove = "perl"

(Samba 4 is bloated enough by itself, it doesn't need other packages to
inflate its runtime even more)

--
Mike Looijmans