[oe] Question about RDEPENDS and RRECOMMENDS

Carlos Rafael Giani dv at pseudoterminal.org
Sat Feb 14 08:42:02 UTC 2015

Hello,

I am updating the gstreamer1.0-plugins-imx recipe from meta-fsl-arm, and
want to improve one aspect of it.
This recipe produces several packages. Among them are an audio and a
video decoder plugin for GStreamer. In order to use the audio decoder at
runtime, the "audioparsers" package from the gstreamer1.0-plugins-good
recipe is required. Likewise, the video decoder needs video parsers from
the gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad-videoparsersbad package.
It is possible to install gstreamer1.0-plugins-imx packages without
these other packages. However, GStreamer will then be unable to
automatically use these decoders.

So, it would make sense to establish some sort of dependency. But how
exactly? I thought of something like this:

   RDEPENDS_gstreamer1.0-plugins-imx-imxaudio =
"gstreamer1.0-plugins-good-audioparsers"
   RDEPENDS_gstreamer1.0-plugins-imx-imxvpu =
"gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad-videoparsersbad"

but then I also need to add gstreamer1.0-plugins-good and
gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad to the DEPENDS list, otherwise I get a warning
like:

   QA Issue: gstreamer1.0-plugins-imx-imxaudio rdepends on
gstreamer1.0-plugins-good-audioparsers, but it isn't a build dependency?
[build-deps]

But if I add these recipes to the DEPENDS variable, then the RDEPENDS
spec is pointless, isn't it?
Another option would be to use RRECOMMENDS instead of RDEPENDS, but I am
not sure if this is such a good idea.

Any thoughts?