[oe] Question about RDEPENDS and RRECOMMENDS

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Mon Feb 16 12:42:56 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 9:12 AM, Paul Eggleton
<paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 15 February 2015 19:34:28 Otavio Salvador wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 6:42 AM, Carlos Rafael Giani
>> <dv at pseudoterminal.org> wrote:
>> > So, it would make sense to establish some sort of dependency. But how
>> >
>> > exactly? I thought of something like this:
>> >   RDEPENDS_gstreamer1.0-plugins-imx-imxaudio =
>> >
>> > "gstreamer1.0-plugins-good-audioparsers"
>> >
>> >   RDEPENDS_gstreamer1.0-plugins-imx-imxvpu =
>> >
>> > "gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad-videoparsersbad"
>> >
>> > but then I also need to add gstreamer1.0-plugins-good and
>> > gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad to the DEPENDS list, otherwise I get a warning
>> >
>> > like:
>> >   QA Issue: gstreamer1.0-plugins-imx-imxaudio rdepends on
>> >
>> > gstreamer1.0-plugins-good-audioparsers, but it isn't a build dependency?
>> > [build-deps]
>> >
>> > But if I add these recipes to the DEPENDS variable, then the RDEPENDS spec
>> > is pointless, isn't it?
>>
>> Just for completeness, the QA issue about missing build-dependency is
>> something we should pay attention to but it may be a false positive as
>> in your cause you don't depends on them for building, just runtime. So
>> you can whitelist the warning to avoid the noise but adding the
>> depends would be wrong.
>
> The QA warning message could perhaps be worded more accurately - what it means
> is there in an implicit runtime dependency and there is no RDEPENDS (not
> DEPENDS) explicitly telling the system to ensure that that dependency is
> satisfied. Whitelisting is never the proper way to fix this warning - either add
> an explicit RDEPENDS, or use configuration to ensure that the implicit
> dependency isn't needed.

>From my understand, which Carlos can confirm, what he did was adding
the package on the rdepends. Once this was done the QA warnings shows
up which is wrong.

This can be seen at 'sed' recipe:

---
SUMMARY = "Stream EDitor (text filtering utility)"
RDEPENDS_${PN}-ptest += "make locale-base-ru-ru ${PN}"
---

In my system, with ptest enabled, I see:

WARNING: QA Issue: sed-ptest rdepends on locale-base-ru-ru, but it
isn't a build dependency? [build-deps]

and this is clearly a false positive as this uses this locale at
runtime for a test. Not necessarily it needs to have a DEPENDS on it
which would imply it would need to be available in sysroot before sed
configure could start.

What I think is missing is that the 'build-deps' check would need to
whitelist the dependencies which come from a /explict/ package added
in a RDEPENDS. What do you think?