[oe] missing trailing spaces in some "_prepend" expressions in oe-core

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 16:25:56 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 05, 2015 at 09:58:01AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   after running across a variable "_prepend" assignment that had no
> trailing space, i did a quick grep through oe-core and ran across the
> following, which would all seem to need that trailing space:
>
> $ grep -rn "DEPENDS_prepend.*[^ ]\"$" *
> meta/classes/qt4e.bbclass:2:DEPENDS_prepend = "${QT4EDEPENDS}"
> meta/classes/cpan_build.bbclass:27:DEPENDS_prepend = "${@cpan_build_dep_prepend(d)}"
> meta/classes/autotools.bbclass:24:DEPENDS_prepend = "${@autotools_dep_prepend(d)}"
> meta/classes/qt4x11.bbclass:2:DEPENDS_prepend = "${QT4DEPENDS}"
> $

e.g. QT4EDEPENDS QT4DEPENDS both end with space, so it's not causing any
problem, but having the trailing space together with prepend is good.

Only exception I can think of is when you really don't want to introduce
extra space when the variable used in prepend/append is set to empty,
but that's not an issue for DEPENDS (but important e.x. for tune .inc files)

> and
>
> $ grep -rn "SRC_URI_prepend.*[^ ]\"$" *
> meta/recipes-devtools/qemu/qemu_git.bb:10:SRC_URI_prepend = "git://git.qemu.org/qemu.git"
> meta/recipes-devtools/qemu/qemu_2.2.0.bb:10:SRC_URI_prepend = "http://wiki.qemu-project.org/download/${BP}.tar.bz2"
> $
>
>   there may be more, i just left it at that, not sure if there's
> something magic about those examples or whether they really should
> have the space added, so i'll leave it with someone else to tweak.
>
> rday
>
> p.s. is there any difference between appending or prepending to the
> list of build-time dependencies in "DEPENDS"? most extensions to
> "DEPENDS" i've seen use "_append", but occasionally, i see "_prepend".
> does it matter?

I don't think so, the order of DEPENDS is irrelevant.

This e-mail belongs more into oe-core ML.

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com