[oe] daemontools

matti kaasinen matti.kaasinen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 07:49:39 UTC 2015

Hi!
As Arago distribution does not support systemd or upstart (which is kind of
dying), I'm looking for other decent service manager. I found daemontools
from openembedded/fido branch. It bakes fine. I would have few comments
regarding daemontools (svscanboot) starter  script and daemontools install
package.

Daemontools tend to install it's own commands to /command folder. However,
daemontools_0.76.bb does not install /command folder and instead, installs
binaries to Linux standard place ${D}/${bindir}. Also standard position for
daemontools service scripts is /service folder that is not installed at
all. I'm not sure how much daemontools commands rely on these standard
positions, but at least this svscanboot seems unpatched having these
default folders.

So, at least /command should be removed from svscanboot script:
/command/svc -dx /service/* /service/*/log
=>
svc -dx /service/* /service/*/log

Also I suppose service directory should also be installed somewhere. For
instance /etc/service (Ubuntu way) or /service to make things compatible
with examples or perhaps /etc/daemontools.

In any case, I'll try patching this on my own layer to check out if there
are built in dependencies.
-Matti