[oe] CUPS ppd drivers

Marc Reilly marc at cpdesign.com.au
Tue May 19 00:42:10 UTC 2015

Hi Steven,

I got printing going a couple of years ago for HP printers, (the only type we
needed to support). I haven't been keeping track since, so I'm not sure what
the current state of recipes in yocto is.

We only need to be able to print pdfs. It's not fast, but it works.

On Monday, May 18, 2015 04:39:41 PM Steven Descheemaeker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to add printer support to my embedded board. I'm able to
> build cups but there aren't any driver packages.
>
> Are there any recent packages for printer drivers? I already tried to
> build gutenprint/foomatic myself but I'm relatively new to yocto so I'm
> not that good in writing recipes my own.
>
> Anyone can help me out with this ?

What type of printer are you using?

For HP printers, use the hplip drivers. There is a detect/add printer script
which is handy for adding USB printers.
For other brands, I'm not sure. I think there were some recipes for canon and
epson printers.

Below is a list of the packages in the image related to printing, the python
packages are for the hplip add scripts, and the perl is (i think) for the
foomatic filters.

Cheers,
Marc

IMAGE_PRINTING_INSTALL = " \