[oe] CUPS ppd drivers

Steven Descheemaeker stevend at limotec.be
Tue May 19 07:25:43 UTC 2015

Khem Raj schreef op ma 18-05-2015 om 23:08 [-0700]:
> On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 11:02 PM, Steven Descheemaeker
> <stevend at limotec.be> wrote:
> >
> > Marc Reilly schreef op di 19-05-2015 om 10:42 [+1000]:
> >> Hi Steven,
> >>

> >> I got printing going a couple of years ago for HP printers, (the only type we
> >> needed to support). I haven't been keeping track since, so I'm not sure what
> >> the current state of recipes in yocto is.
> >>
> >> We only need to be able to print pdfs. It's not fast, but it works.

> >> What type of printer are you using?
> >>
> >> For HP printers, use the hplip drivers. There is a detect/add printer script
> >> which is handy for adding USB printers.
> >> For other brands, I'm not sure. I think there were some recipes for canon and
> >> epson printers.
> >>
> >> Below is a list of the packages in the image related to printing, the python
> >> packages are for the hplip add scripts, and the perl is (i think) for the
> >> foomatic filters.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Marc
> >>

> >> IMAGE_PRINTING_INSTALL = " \
> >>       ghostscript \
> >>       ghostscript-cups \
> >>       cups \
> >>       cups-doc \
> >>       cups-lib \
> >>       cups-libimage \
> >>       foomatic-filters \
> >>       poppler \
> >>       poppler-data \
> >>       hplip \
> >>       hplip-ppd \
> >>       hplip-cups \
> >>       hplip-backend \
> >>       hplip-filter \
> >>       python-syslog \
> >>       python-pprint \
> >>       python-compression \
> >>       python-shell \
> >>       python-xml \
> >>       python-unixadmin \
> >>       python-html \
> >>       python-resource \
> >>       python-terminal \
> >>       python-lang \
> >>       python-stringold \
> >>       python-netclient \
> >>       python-fcntl \
> >>       "
> >>
> >> PRINTPERL = " \
> >>       perl-module-strict \
> >>       perl-module-posix \
> >>       perl-module-fcntl  \
> >>       perl-module-exporter-heavy \
> >>       perl-module-cwd \
> >>       perl-module-sigtrap \
> >>       perl-module-io-handle \
> >>       perl-module-data-dumper \
> >>       perl-module-bytes \
> >>       "
> >>

> > Hello Marc,
> >
> > For HP I already found hplip indeed, but I need more than only HP as
> > printer brand. I'm searching for recipes like gutenprint/foomatic with a
> > large amount of printer drivers for different brands.
> >

> does this help
>
> http://cgit.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/tree/meta/recipes-extended/foomatic/foomatic-filters_4.0.17.bb

That are only filters, I think I need the foomatic-db and
foomatic-db-engine to use these? When I install this package in my
image, and try to print an image I get this : lpr Unsupported
document-format "image/jpeg". I know this has something to do with
filters. When I install cups-filters then I can print images but I can't
install foomatic-filters since it conflicts with cups-filters. So I was
wondering how I could add more drivers for these filters, or am I
totally wrong in this?

kind regards

--
Steven Descheemaeker