[oe] [meta-java] Sporadic segfaults when compiling jamvm-native and classpath-native

Kaaria, Erkka erkka.kaaria at intel.com
Mon Nov 9 08:10:46 UTC 2015

Hi,

I briefly glanced at the cacao-staging commit history, but I didn't find any patches that would fix this segfault specifically. There are several patches that fix issues and race conditions in the jit compiler, for example https://bitbucket.org/cacaovm/cacao-staging/commits/7e6eef2b4c94 and https://bitbucket.org/cacaovm/cacao-staging/commits/56697326cf27. One of these patches may very well fix the segfault, but the problem is that the cacao version that is used in the bootstrapping process is positively ancient (0.98, released in 2007). The linked patches for example are patching files that are either substantially different from the ones in 0.98 or don't even exist in 0.98. Backporting any patches to would not be easy.

While the workaround would leave the underlying cause unfixed, it only requires changing one line. Since the cacao-initial-native is only used briefly during the build process, I think small workaround is better than large scale changes to the old codebase. I also didn't notice any difference in classpath-native or jamvm-native build times, so the performance impact is negligible.

On a related note, I ran the clean\recompile script over the weekend and saw no segfaults, so I think the workaround works.

Best Regards,
Erkka Kääriä
Intel Finland Oy
Registered Address: PL 281, 00181 Helsinki
Business Identity Code: 0357606 - 4
Domiciled in Helsinki