[oe] Multiple bbappends and their order

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 01:26:01 UTC 2015

> On Oct 7, 2015, at 8:36 AM, Angelika Tobisch <tobisch at dresearch-fe.de> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> suppose I have layers A, B, and C. Layer A provides a recipe. I want
> to append this recipe in both layers B and C.
>
> In what order are the appends going to be applied? Is it
> deterministic? Does it depend on layer priority? Something else
> entirely?

they are appended in order of BBFILE_PRIORITY defined in each layer’s layer.conf file e.g. a bbappend in layer with BBFILE_PRIORITY = 5
will be appended before bbappend from another layer with BBFILE_PRIORIY = 6
so in theory you can negate the effects of changes in lower priority layer in the bbappend from higher priority layer.
keep in mind that this only works for recipe metadata, not for configuration metadata, for configuration metadata the order layer path in BBFILES
will matter much like PATH search in shell.