[oe] [OE-core] kernel.bbclass: Fix do_shared_workdir task ordering

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 19:48:13 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 3:30 PM, S. Lockwood-Childs <sjl at vctlabs.com> wrote:
> http://patchwork.openembedded.org/patch/99875/
>
> Apparently this patch is still not in master, and I just ran across the
> problem with an externally built module (omaplfb from omap3-sgx-modules)
> in meta-ti layer.
>
> What's the plan for getting a correct Module.symver into shared_workdir
> for external modules to build against? Above patch, or does someone have
> an even better idea?

Richard and I sync'd on this while in Dublin @ ELCe, and the changes
aren't missing
from master by mistake .. but more because we are still working to come up with
a comprehensive solution (tracked in bugzilla).

The solution is pretty much what I described before, we are balancing
applications
and tasks that do not need kernel modules to be built, versus external modules
that depend on symbols from other modules. The devil is in the
details, and getting
a non-racy, task locked solution that allows the recipe writer to
explicitly decide
whether they need modules built or not .. attempts at detecting the
need, or forcing
a one size fits all solution have all lead to dead ends.

Since we are close to a release point, I'm still working on this out
of the tree, and
will propose some changes when the tree looks stable.

For now, you can carry the patch locally, or you can append to the kernel module
compilation task and do a second copy of the symvers file to the share
directory.

i.e. a variant of this:
http://patchwork.openembedded.org/patch/94891/, done in a
bbappend versus the class.