[oe] [OE-core] State of libcs in OE-Core glibc/uclibc/musl

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 21:03:31 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 01:55:42PM -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 4:10 AM, Roman Khimov <roman at khimov.ru> wrote:
> > В письме от 29 октября 2015 08:42:31 пользователь Khem Raj написал:
> >> 1. Drop kconfig support in glibc and we become inline with upstream
> >
> > No opinion on this.

I agree, it can be outside oe-core and enabled + maintained by those who
care about it, it doesn't need to burden you Khem when you're doing all
glibc upgrades in oe-core.

> >> 2. Move musl support to OE-Core from meta-musl
> >
> > I would certainly support this kind of for musl.

I agree, it looks like more reasonable replacement for uclibc.

> >> 3. Drop uclibc or leave it in current broken state, I would like to pull it
> >> out into a layer in meta-openembedded and we can leave the core plumbing as
> >> it is in OE-Core
> >
> > But I don't think that moving uClibc out of OE Core is OK with the next
> > release. We do use it and there are probably some users too, I think it's
> > better to have a longer transition period for this kind of change, like make
> > the next release support three libcs and only move uClibc to meta-oe in a
> > subsequent release. This would give everyone some time to evaluate
> > alternatives rather than forcing to make choices right at the OE Core update
> > when usually there are lots of other things that need to be fixed.
>
> may be not a bad idea however, this still will be available as an
> independent layer on meta-openembedded
> but we could still keep it for a release

I agree again, few people are using it (based on recent survey from
Cliff), so having it in separate layer looks good to me.

> >> 4. Poky-tiny switches to use musl
> >
> > No opinion on this.

I won't ever use poky-tiny, but switching it from glibc+kconfig to musl
would probably make it easier to do some build testing on Yocto AB, so
in the end it should improve test-coverage than current uclibc in
oe-core has.

Regards,

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com