[oe] [OE-core] "sub" machine types?

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Sat Sep 5 11:29:27 UTC 2015

On 04-09-15 09:35, Steffen Sledz wrote:
> We have some products which differ in bootloaders (u-boot) and kernel device trees only. They use the same kernel and root filesystem.
>
> Does OE have concepts for this? Or any suggestions to realize this without building for many machines?

The way I handled this was to make it so that all machines have the same
MACHINE_ARCH, but MACHINE has some suffixes. This combines the kernels
and such. Only problem with that approach is that OE will erase the
kernel for a previous machine if you build for the next one, so you have
to copy the resulting images to another location at the end of the build.

For your case, I think you can just use a single MACHINE. You can just
supply multiple devicetrees, and I think the u-boot recipe recently
learned to have multiple targets, so you can build multiple bootloaders
for a single machine too.

--
Mike Looijmans