[oe] bitbake dependency question

Robert Cagle rcagle at omnitron-systems.com
Tue Dec 13 23:39:35 UTC 2016

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the response.

> Another way to handle this kind of situation with plugins is to simply build
> them all with all dependencies, and have the runtime design such that it's
> fully flexible as to which plugins are installed - then you just make the
> choice in the image. (Perhaps what you're building is already that way and
> you're just trying to save on build time?)

Unfortunately in this particular case it is more of a "compile-time plugin". RecipeD
generates and compiles a C file based on artifacts left in /usr/share by its
dependencies (Recipes A, B, and/or C), so runtime configuration isn't an option.
In this case including unused plugins would cause incorrect results.

It appears this form of dependency isn't supported in OE, so I'll either use a
variable defined in local.conf or more likely restructure the app so the plugins
and their host are all built within a single recipe/build.

Thanks for the info though, it is all very interesting.

> Cheers,
> Paul
>
> --
>
> Paul Eggleton