[oe] Language settings GTK (glibc?) problem

Andreas Müller schnitzeltony at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 3 11:49:48 UTC 2016

Hi,

while testing libreoffice language packets I found that language
settings for GTK based apps are broken. Interestingly QT based
applications (tested with qtcreator and lxqt) and libreoffice are
working fine.

I did some research and hope for some expert with helping hints. Details are:

* I am testing with jethro environment

* X session is started for an unprivileged user by display manager
lxdm. That sets the following environment vars for language:
| LANG="de_DE"
| LANGUAGE="de_DE"
| LC_MESSAGES="de_DE"

* starting e.g gedit from console complains:
| (process:4205): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
|    Using the fallback 'C' locale.

* 'locale -a' says
| locale: Kann LC_COLLATE nicht auf die Standard-Lokale einstellen:
Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht | | gefunden
| POSIX
| de_DE
| en_GB
| en_US
| fr_FR
Translation of error is (when setting en_GB on lxdm):
| locale: Cannot set LC_COLLATE to default locale: No such file or directory

Debugging the last two cases show that the error is caused for same reason:

* setlocale(LC_ALL, "") returns NULL for GTK apps
* setlocale (LC_CTYPE, "") returns NULL for 'locale -a'

Anybody with ideas what is missing/wrong on my images?

Andreas