[oe] Still many meta-networking changes waiting in patchwork/master-next

Joe MacDonald Joe_MacDonald at mentor.com
Sat Feb 27 01:39:45 UTC 2016

Hi Martin,

[Re: [oe] Still many meta-networking changes waiting in patchwork/master-next] On 16.02.26 (Fri 20:56) Martin Jansa wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 01:13:17PM -0500, Joe MacDonald wrote:
> > Hey Martin,
> >
> > [[oe] Still many meta-networking changes waiting in patchwork/master-next] On 16.02.25 (Thu 18:19) Martin Jansa wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Joe.
> > >
> > > there are still 18 meta-networking commits in master-next:
> >
> > I thought I'd follow up to this and let you know I'll do something with
> > these before the end of the month.  Almost all of them (waf-samba aside)
> > obviously got missed because I'm watching patchwork based on
> > 'meta-networking' and none of these had it in the subject line.
> >
> > I think I've asked before, but are you curating all of those bundles by
> > hand or have you got some machinery that filters patches into bundles
> > based on path names in the patches?  Because that would be kind of neat
> > to have.
>
> I think I've answered before, but I'm filtering them manually based on
> subject and also actual paths inside the patch. I also need to mark them
> "Accepted", "Superseded", ..  manually, there is git hooks which is supposed
> to mark at least accepted one, but it finds 1 from 1000 if any.

Yeah, I've seen the hooks trying to find something when I push commits and
just spewing a slew of errors.  I generally do my best to stay on top of
the status in patchwork, doing it all at one time, though.

> This is of course a bit error prone, especially when there are multiple
> versions of the same patch already in master-next - I usually end up
> marking all versions merged patch as Accepted (unless I've marked older
> versions already as Superseded when filtering incoming queue).

I took a bit of time this afternoon to try to come up with a way to
automate at least part of the process for me and I'm sure there's a better
way to do it (hence why I asked again) but since it sounds like you're
doing it by hand for a much larger space than I am, maybe there's not.

Anyway, for what it's worth, here's what I came up with:

   git log --cherry-pick --format="'%s'" \
      oe/master-next...oe/master meta-networking | \
      xargs -r -n1 pwclient search -f "%{id} %{name}" -s New

Which does pretty well, though it obviously goes a little insane if
someone puts a ' in the short log, but it didn't seem worth trying to work
around that pretty rare (I hope) corner case.  As an aside, the first time
I did this I was using --format="\"%s\"" and the *very* top commit
('recipes: Replace "cp ...) showed me what kind of pain I'm in for when
there are colliding characters in the short log.  It's ugly but nothing
catastrophic.

So that gave me 14 of the patches you asked about.  The others were easy
to find:

   git log --cherry-pick --format="'%s'" \
      oe/master-next...oe/master meta-networking | \
      xargs -r -n1 pwclient search -f "%{id} %{name}" -s Accepted

But obviously they haven't been accepted into 'master' next, obviously
just a typo or a mis-click at some point.  So that's not bad.

Once I had that sanity check done, it's easy to harvest them all:

   git log --cherry-pick --format="'%s'" \
      oe/master-next...oe/master meta-networking | \
      xargs -r -n1 pwclient search -f "%{name}" -s new | \
      sed 's=\[.*\] *==;s="=.=g;s=\(.*\)="\1"=' | \
      xargs -r -n1 git log --format="%h" --grep | \
      xargs -r -n1 git cherry-pick -s

The hideous sed in the middle is just to throw out stuff from the pwclient
output that doesn't appear in the git logs (eg. "[v2]") and to skip over
the craziness that happens on the 'git log grep' if you have a " in the
subject.

Run it a second time to grab the three 'accepted' patches and we're nearly
done.

Setting aside all of the inspection steps that follow that nobody would
want to automate, the same machinery applies equally well to keeping
patchwork up to date:

   git log --cherry-pick --format="'%s'" \
      master...oe/master meta-networking | \
      xargs -r -n1 pwclient search -f "%{id}" -s new | \
      xargs -r -n1 pwclient update -s "accepted"

There's not really any point in running this one a second time for the
patches already marked 'accepted'.

I've been using a version of this last one for a while now because the git
hooks are non-functional.

The end result is that my semi-automated process above gets 17 of the 18
patches you cited and the 18th (waf-samba.bbclass) is a special case that
I don't think could ever be caught except by manual intervention.

Mostly just throwing this out there so that maybe it'll help you or
someone else with similar tasks and maybe someone can look at what I'm
doing and point out obvious flaws / shortcomings / bear-traps /
improvements.  And also since I haven't bothered to put this into a shell
function or git alias yet, at least my process is archived in the mailing
list and I can find it again if I need it.

-J.

--
-Joe MacDonald.
:wq