[oe] chromium 40.0.2214.91 doesn't like gcc5.3

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 03:10:37 UTC 2016

The version of chromium we're using is a bit old (it's almost a year old
now) and I thought that maybe a newer version might have the required
fixes in it already. Along those lines I tried updating the recipe to
build chromium-49.0.2607.0 which was released December 30, 2015. As it
turned out 49.0.2607.0 didn't have any fixes for gcc-5.3, I ran into the
exact same build problems I had seen building 40.0.2214.91 with gcc-5.3.
But, for fun, I thought it would be worth seeing if I could get
49.0.2607.0 to build and, patch after patch, I not only got it building
but I have also run-time tested it on my turbot. These patches, by the
way, adjust the code and don't simply turn off compiler warnings/errors.

I haven't tried getting 40 to build, but seeing that I have 49 building
(and running) I was wondering if I should work on getting 40 to build (I
assume most of the patches I developed for 49 will probably be the same
for 40) or should I just concentrate on updating the recipe to 49 and
getting that to work?

There's a lot of wayland-specific stuff in the recipe and I've never
built or run a wayland image, so if I'm going to work on making sure my
recipe for 49 works it'll take a bit of time for me to wrap my head
around the wayland stuff. Also, from what I can tell, the Linaro people
use their own branch/version for their ARM builds[1] so I'm wondering
how much testing people would need to accept such an update?

[1] https://github.com/ndechesne/qcom-oe-manifest/blob/master/default.xml