[oe] meta-java Workflow

Maxin B. John maxin.john at intel.com
Thu Jan 14 12:40:01 UTC 2016

Hi Jens,

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 07:03:51PM +0100, Jens Rehsack wrote:
> Hi,
>
> to avoid such a problem as it occurred with ec7b984f, 04d5d0bf and dfb21b44, I strongly suggest that meta-java follows the merge-workflow from other meta-layers:
>
> cherry-pick new stuff into master-next, when settled - merge to master

Agree with this suggestion. Current state of meta-java isn't that great
mostly because of the absence of a Continuous Integration process.

I have briefly tried to incorporate automated testing for meta-java layer
in github using travic CI. However, it is not yet completed due to space
limitation and timeout problems in Travis CI. Hoping to fix that soon.

https://github.com/maxinbjohn/meta-java/blob/master/.travis.yml

> Branch releases as other layers do and same, push back-ported patches into ${rel_branch}-next and merge the behaving ones into ${rel_branch}.
>
> The current way - pushing to master and live only there result in the happened revert - and to continue my work I would have to revert the reverts without any nice word in the commit message as I did in reverting 24b98ac3 with a88718b6.
>
> Cheers
> Jens Rehsack - rehsack at gmail.com

Best Regards,
Maxin