[oe] Removal of uclibc from oe-core?

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Mon Jul 18 22:01:40 UTC 2016

Hi,

Now that musl is fairly mature I think it's time to take uclibc out to
pasture, where the pasture is possibly called meta-uclibc.

Carrying excessive numbers of C libraries in OE Core isn't really ideal,
and musl approximates the size of uclibc whilst being far more feature
complete.  I have a patch to remove the uclibc recipes from OE Core whilst
keeping the infrastructure so a meta-uclibc would be possible if someone is
interested in keeping in alive going forward.  Is anyone interested in
creating and maintaining a meta-uclibc?  Is anyone horrified at the
prospect of uclibc being removed from oe-core?

Feedback welcome!

Ross