[oe] [OE-core] the fate of Vala in OE

Alexander Kanavin alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com
Fri Jun 10 13:06:02 UTC 2016

On 06/09/2016 05:08 PM, Philip Balister wrote:

> It seems that there are use cases beyond just embedded systems for
> OpenEmbedded, so this logic is not really valid. See:
>
> http://openxt.org/
>
> And yes, I think it is useful for openembedded-core to have as broad an
> audience as possible.

Our resources are limited, so there has to be specific evidence for a
need for Vala; not the vague 'it could be useful to someone out there'
kind of thinking.

The reason I was proposing removing Vala is that:
a) you can count the open source software written in Vala on fingers of
one hand: it's Rygel, Elementary OS apps, and a couple of
desktop-oriented Gnome apps.
b) until yesterday, we haven't heard of any in-house usage of Vala by OE
users.

But since people have spoken up, I'll make a different proposal in a moment.

> That said, what other layers use vala? If it leaves core, is there a
> layer that can host it and support other layers using it without to much
> trouble?

As far as oe-core and all of meta-oe layers go, it's Rygel and
vala-terminal, that's all.

Alex