[oe] [OE-core] the fate of Vala in OE

Alexander Kanavin alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com
Fri Jun 10 13:21:06 UTC 2016

On 06/09/2016 07:36 PM, Burton, Ross wrote:

>     We do use Vala for internal gstreamer-related projects so I would
>     volunteer to support it in oe-core.
>

> Would you volunteer to maintain it in a separate layer if possible?  If
> nothing in core uses it and it can be maintained out of core then I
> think it should be moved out.  Currently, vala support is in oe-core but
> nothing in oe-core uses it... so the autobuilder can't tell if it works.

How about?

1) vala compiler recipe and support for generating library bindings
stays in oe-core

2) we take care of updating the vala recipe to latest stable upstream
version

3) we make sure that vala recipe builds correctly and library bindings
are generated without error for libraries that are in oe-core

4) any other issues, such as compiler not working properly, or issues
with bindings for things that are not in oe-core are handled by 'the
community'.

Alex