[oe] Still many meta-networking changes waiting in patchwork/master-next

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 10:33:41 UTC 2016

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 08:39:45PM -0500, Joe MacDonald wrote:
> [...]
>
>    git log --cherry-pick --format="'%s'" \
>       oe/master-next...oe/master meta-networking | \
>       xargs -r -n1 pwclient search -f "%{id} %{name}" -s New
>
> Which does pretty well, though it obviously goes a little insane if
> someone puts a ' in the short log, but it didn't seem worth trying to work
> around that pretty rare (I hope) corner case.  As an aside, the first time
> I did this I was using --format="\"%s\"" and the *very* top commit
> ('recipes: Replace "cp ...) showed me what kind of pain I'm in for when
> there are colliding characters in the short log.  It's ugly but nothing
> catastrophic.
>
> So that gave me 14 of the patches you asked about.  The others were easy
> to find:
>
>    git log --cherry-pick --format="'%s'" \
>       oe/master-next...oe/master meta-networking | \
>       xargs -r -n1 pwclient search -f "%{id} %{name}" -s Accepted
>
> But obviously they haven't been accepted into 'master' next, obviously
> just a typo or a mis-click at some point.  So that's not bad.
>
> Once I had that sanity check done, it's easy to harvest them all:
>

>    git log --cherry-pick --format="'%s'" \
>       oe/master-next...oe/master meta-networking | \
>       xargs -r -n1 pwclient search -f "%{name}" -s new | \
>       sed 's=\[.*\] *==;s="=.=g;s=\(.*\)="\1"=' | \
>       xargs -r -n1 git log --format="%h" --grep | \
>       xargs -r -n1 git cherry-pick -s
>
> The hideous sed in the middle is just to throw out stuff from the pwclient
> output that doesn't appear in the git logs (eg. "[v2]") and to skip over
> the craziness that happens on the 'git log grep' if you have a " in the
> subject.
>
> Run it a second time to grab the three 'accepted' patches and we're nearly
> done.
>
> Setting aside all of the inspection steps that follow that nobody would
> want to automate, the same machinery applies equally well to keeping
> patchwork up to date:
>
>    git log --cherry-pick --format="'%s'" \
>       master...oe/master meta-networking | \
>       xargs -r -n1 pwclient search -f "%{id}" -s new | \
>       xargs -r -n1 pwclient update -s "accepted"
>
> There's not really any point in running this one a second time for the
> patches already marked 'accepted'.
>
> I've been using a version of this last one for a while now because the git
> hooks are non-functional.
>
> The end result is that my semi-automated process above gets 17 of the 18
> patches you cited and the 18th (waf-samba.bbclass) is a special case that
> I don't think could ever be caught except by manual intervention.
>
> Mostly just throwing this out there so that maybe it'll help you or
> someone else with similar tasks and maybe someone can look at what I'm
> doing and point out obvious flaws / shortcomings / bear-traps /
> improvements.  And also since I haven't bothered to put this into a shell
> function or git alias yet, at least my process is archived in the mailing
> list and I can find it again if I need it.

Thanks for trying to improve patchwork experience with bunch of scripts.
Personally I would prefer to just use gerrit (that's why I gave up
trying to work around patchwork issues with scripts and rather sort &
apply the patches manually with just small help from pwclient).

After bigger merge yesterday I have only the waf-samba change in
master-next (and few new changes), can you please update status of few
pending changes in meta-networking bundle?
http://patchwork.openembedded.org/bundle/jama/meta-networking/?archive=both

There is 22 changes and most of them were probably already merged or
rejected.

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com