[oe] [OE-core] proposal: replace GLUT with FreeGLUT

Neena Busireddy neenareddy.busireddy at nxp.com
Wed May 11 19:03:05 UTC 2016

Hi Ross,

On 10 May 2016 at 19:12, Neena Busireddy <neenareddy.busireddy at nxp.com<mailto:neenareddy.busireddy at nxp.com>> wrote:
GLUT is dead upstream for almost three years now ( https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/glut/  ) and it makes sense to replace GLUT with FreeGLUT .
Some of the reasons to replace with FreeGLUT are listed here :
http://freeglut.sourceforge.net/

Also, current mesa-glut recipe does not generate GLUT library. I tested this when I enabled GLUT in mesa-demos.

I discussed this issue with Otavio and he suggested to replace GLUT with FreeGLUT and upgrade mesa-demos to 8.3.

You might want to CC oe-devel too, as mesa-glut is part of meta-oe.

I'm surprised that mesa-glut doesn't build the glut library, but I have no interest in glut so you can do whatever you want in my opinion. :)

[ CC ing oe-devel ]

Thank you for your comments. I will send patches for FreeGLUT.

Thanks,
Neena