[oe] curious about "superfluous" meta-cpan recipes

Jens Rehsack rehsack at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 12:29:27 UTC 2016

Hi Robert,

> Am 14.11.2016 um 22:45 schrieb Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>:
>

>  to follow up on a point i made earlier, it seems that a number of
> recipes in meta-cpan are, these days, unnecessary as they are
> available in the standard OE or meta-oe layers. i took a quick look
> and found the following examples:
>
> meta-cpan			OE/meta-oe equivalent		type
>

> uri-perl			liburi-perl			oe-core
> encode-locale-perl		libencode-locale-perl		meta-perl
> io-socket-ssl-perl		libio-socket-ssl-perl		meta-perl
> compress-raw-bzip2-perl		perl-module-compress-raw-bzip2	MODULE
> compress-raw-zlib-perl		perl-module-compress-raw-zlib	MODULE
> io-compress-perl		perl-module-io-compress-*	MODULE(???)
> dbd-sqlite-perl			libdbd-sqlite-perl		meta-perl
> dbi-perl			libdbi-perl			meta-perl
> capture-tiny-perl		libcapture-tiny-perl		meta-perl
> class-method-modifiers-perl	libclass-method-modifiers-perl	meta-perl
> extutils-config-perl		libextutils-config-perl		meta-perl
> extutils-cppguess-perl		libextutils-cppguess-perl	meta-perl
> extutils-helpers-perl		libextutils-helpers-perl	meta-perl
> extutils-installpaths-perl	libextutils-installpaths-perl	meta-perl
> extutils-parsexs-perl		libextutils-parsexs-perl	meta-perl
> getopt-long-perl		perl-module-getopt-long		MODULE
> mime-types-perl			libmime-types-perl		meta-perl
>
>  so you can see that a number of meta-cpan recipes appear to be
> effectively available in basic OE. does that make them unnecessary? is
> there any reason to have meta-cpan recipes that basically reproduce
> what is already available? (other than version numbers, of course.)

you're slightly to fast. There is a clear reason for that what you
identified as superfluous: reliability.

Experienced users expected, one can easily add an liburi-perl_%.bbappend
or an uri-perl_%.bbappend containing a PROVIDES+="...".
But noone is enforced to remove such a PROVIDES...

What drives me to package cpan distributions which are already in
meta-oe? The way they're packaged. meta-cpan containes recipes in
a way as they're meant by CPAN authors, not by Debian or oe-contributors.

Best regards
Jens Rehsack - rehsack at gmail.com