[oe] more info in layerindex Was: Full Python3 Installation

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Mon Apr 24 21:52:41 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, 25 April 2017 4:12:25 AM NZST Trevor Woerner wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 2:53 PM, Paul Eggleton
>
> <paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> > Regarding the layer index, we don't actually index packages or anything on
> > the runtime side, since you would have to actually run a build to get
> > full information there, and it can easily change depending on
> > configuration. It's possible we may add that in future but we'd have to
> > ensure everyone understood those limitations that mean that the
> > information might not directly match what they see when they do a build
> > locally.
>
> As for knowing what files will go where I can see that you could only
> really know that once a recipe is built (since the FILES_..._${PN}
> allows wildcards). But as for the list of packages created by a
> recipe, isn't that deterministic from looking at the (full) recipe
> information (including inherits etc)?

For some recipes, yes, but there are a few types of exceptions:

1) Empty packages - we don't know for sure if a package will be empty, if it
is then the package won't be produced

2) Module/plugin packages such as for the kernel - these are dynamic based on
configuration and not easy to introspect

3) Packages added / removed due to PACKAGECONFIG / DISTRO_FEATURES /
architecture etc. Also hard to introspect.

> Also, would having the layerindex list PACKAGECONFIG options per
> recipe be possible?

I think we could do that yes.

Cheers,
Paul